Who doesn't love pizza? I know it is often a go to easy meal for families after a long week. It is so easy to call & order a pizza to be delivered or for take out but with this simple pizza dough, you can get the family together in the kitchen to make a pizza. The dough only require 5 ingredients. I often make my kids and teens in class memorize the recipe so they can make pizza at any time. I suggest you memorize it too.
In fact, this Friday we had our neighbors over for a afternoon swim and the fun turned into an impromptu dinner at our house. It was perfect to pull out the dough (that I made the day prior) and let the kids make their own pizza. Then we made a large pizza for the adults to enjoy. This dough comes together really easily and can be refrigerated for 4 days or frozen for a month so you can have an easy pizza night for your family.
Create a toppings bar according to your families' favorites: pepperoni, cheese, veggies, sausage, bacon, etc. Empower your kiddos to make decisions with their foods and try to encourage them to try 1 new topping to explore new flavors and ingredients.
- 3 cups Flour
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 TB quick rising yeast
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or food processor, mix together flour, olive, oil & salt.
- In a Liquid measuring cup dissolve yeast into 1 cup warm water, whisking to proof yeast.
- Add liquid to dry ingredients. Use a dough hook to combine ingredients until a dough ball forms.
- On a floured surface knead dough for approximately 5 minutes.
- Place the dough back into the bowl and coat with 1 TB of olive oil.
- Cover bowl with a damp dish towel and let sit for 1 hour, until dough doubles in size.
I suggest watching the video from ABC30 for a tutorial on shaping the dough. People often think that dough should be rolled out with a rolling pin but that is in fact not true. You need to get your hands dirty and use some muscle to roll out the dough. You can try tossing it in the air like the pros if you are feeling adventurous. Check out Alton Brown's pizza making tutorial.
If you want to spice up your pizza night, try out this tasty pizza topping combination using fresh Peaches and Prosciutto. I love this because it is a great combination of salty and sweet.
Prosciutto & Peach Pizza
- 1 prepared pizza dough
- 3 TB of olive oil
- 1 TB of Minced Garlic
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 3-4 slices prosciutto
- 1/4 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 5-6 mini Mozzarella Balls, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 peach,sliced
- 2 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Balsamic Glaze & Honey to drizzle
1. Spread olive oil & garlic evenly onto pizza dough
2. Layer with sliced prosciutto to cover.
3. Using a TB, add dollops of Ricotta sporadically over the surface, add mozzarella balls and sprinkle on parmesan cheese to cover.
4. Layer on sliced peaches.
5. Bake at 450 degrees for approximately 12 minutes until golden brown.
6. Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh basil, drizzle with balsamic glaze & honey.
Slice & serve warm. Enjoy!