In the Summer, I make a lot of salads. I love cleaning out the fridge and throwing in a variety of ingredients. When Kelly, from A Lovely Life, asked to collaborate on a meal for a End of Summer Girls' gathering, a simple Strawberry & Chicken salad immediately came to mind.
This salad highlights some of the produce from the Central Valley. We used beautiful ripe strawberries along with pistachios grown on Kelly's father's farm. When making salads, I like to layer the ingredients on top of the lettuce with the heaviest item first (the chicken). Then layer on the remaining ingredients so that you can see the variety of colors. You can store it in the fridge like this before your friends arrive. When it's time to eat, dress the salad with Olive Oil & drizzle Balsamic Glaze and you are ready to serve. I typically bring it to the table before tossing it, so you guests can see the beautiful presentation.
Strawberry & Chicken Summer Salad
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken, deboned + cubed or 3 grilled chicken breasts, cubed
- 6 ounces of spinach (about a bag)
- 6 ounces of butter lettuce (about a bag)
- 6 ounces crumbled feta or goat cheese (we used goat cheese)
- 5 cups strawberries
- 1/2 cup raw pistachio kernels from Keenan Farms or ½ cup candied pecans – or any of your favorite nut
- 1-2 avocado, chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- salt + pepper to taste
- drizzle of balsamic glaze (we used Trader Giotto’s)
Thank you to Photography by MJD for capturing the festivities.