After I gave birth to my first daughter friends kindly brought food over when they came to visit our new little bundle of joy. One of my friends made a delicious salad that has always stuck with me. In fact I often crave the sweet and salty salad and get excited when my girlfriend brings it to gatherings. I decided to recreate a version at home to share with you.
Traditionally Italians make a Panzanella Salad with day old, aka "stale" bread. The juices from the tomatoes and dressing soak in to create a tasty salad. This recipe has an american twist to it by using corn bread. The corn bread is the perfect sweet and soft addition to the salad. You can use any recipe you would like but I will attach one below that is always a hit in my house.
Sour Cream Corn Bread:
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup corn kernels (2 ears of corn)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease baking pan with shortening.
2. Sift together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
3. Whisk together eggs, sour cream, & milk in a large bowl until well blended.
4. Place greased baking pan in the center of hot oven.
5. Melt the butter in a skillet; add corn kernels and cook over medium-low heat until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Whisk the corn and butter into the egg/milk mixture. Stir in cheese. Add the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until just incorporated. Do not over-mix. Let rest for 2-3 minutes.
6. Pour batter into cake pan and return to over. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- 1 Carton Grape tomatoes- red or yellow
- 1 english cucumber, deseeded
- Red onion, diced (optional)
- Fresh Basil, chiffonade
- 1 loaf of corn bread prepared (recipe on ChefShayna.com)
- Parmesan Cheese, shaved
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 2 TB Balsamic vinegar or glaze
1. Prepare favorite Corn Bread Recipe. Let cool completely. Cut corn bread into 1 inch cubes. Put into a big serving bowl.
2. Deseed & chop tomatoes and cucumbers. Dice the onion and mix all ingredients into a bowl.
3. Dress with Olive and vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Garnish with fresh basil and shaved parmesan cheese.
5. Mix and serve.