Today the weather is supposed to hit 108. Holy Bananas, that is insane! I have been living in Fresno for 6 years now and I still have not gotten used to these extremely hot days. This is the 1st Summer that I have had a pool and I have to say it is a game changer. I am thankful every night that we are able to splash around and cool off.
Since your body is comprised of over 50% water, it is extremely important to stay hydrated. When it is hot outside, it is even more important and now that I am breastfeeding again I have to do everything I can to stay hydrated. I drink water at all meals and in between meals but sometimes it gets boring. I have loved testing new infused water flavors. I create new flavors in mason jars and let them soak in the fridge so when I am thirsty I can easily grab a glass out and be on the go.
My husband and I swore off buying bottled water years ago. The affects plastic bottles have on our environment are significant. If you want to know more check out the movie Tapped. Of course having bottles of cold water ready to go in the fridge is very convenient but think of the waste and with just a few slight changes we have the convenience of water on the go. I use reusable bottles that I can still grab and go. I love the fun colors of the Reduce WaterWeek set.
Back to the subject at hand, infused water… The opportunities are endless as far as flavor combinations go. There are 3 categories to consider: 1. Herbs & Spices 2. Fruits & Veggies and 3. Optional Add-ins. I suggest picking 1 or 2 items from each category and testing out different combinations. When picking Fruits and veggies it is a good idea to use organic produce to avoid pesticides. To reduce any bitter flavor you can remove the peel of citrus fruits.
1. Herbs & Spices: mint, basil, lavender, rosemary, thyme, ginger, rose, vanilla, lemongrass, hibiscus, chamomile, cilantro
2. Fruits & Veggies: strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, cherry, pineapple, cantelope, watermelon, cucumber, orange, lime, lemon, kiwi, carrot, celery
3. Optional Add-ins: Sweeteners like honey or agave, chia seed, coconut water, sparkling water
Flavor Combinations I featured on the news segment:
- Fresh Basil
- Lemon Slices
- Fresh Pineapple Chunks
- Fresh Mint leaves
Summer Berry Cooler:
- Lime slices
- Muddle the fruit at bottom of glass
- Bruise leaves with fingers to release fragrance and add into the glass.
- Top with ice and then pour in filtered water. Let soak in a sealed container in the fridge. The longer it soaks the more intense the flavor will be. Enjoy!