This upcoming weekend there are several reasons to get outside and enjoy some fresh air and fun activities here in Fresno. I am looking forward to attending Fresno State's Vintage Days- I am usually too busy working to go but since I am trying to take a little time off, my family and I are going to head out to enjoy the festivities. On Saturday morning, at my new favorite hidden gem in town, The San Joaquin River Parkway, there is a monthly Walk with a Doc. My hubby dearest is one of the Docs who will be answering questions along the way. If you have any aches or pains, I suggest you head out to get some free advice and bonus, a 30 minute walk a day has long standing benefits. The following weekend you can head downtown for Fresno's Earth Day 2015 celebration with fun activities for the entire family.
When we are busy and on the go, I love having easy snacks to take along for the family. We all love Granola bars but as always, I aim to have the least amount of of preservatives and unpronounceable ingredients in my food as possible. So today I am sharing how to make Easy Chewy Granola Bars that you can customize to meet your families' needs and tastes. There is a little bit of butter and sugar, which you can substitute other ingredients but my thought is a little in moderation is okay.
The great thing about these granola bars is they can be made in the microwave, so not only is it quick to make, it doesn't require you to turn on the oven (it's already going to be in the 80's this weekend here in Fresno). Make sure not to overcook the bars. When you are microwaving them, do not let them brown too much or become hard… they should still be soft when removing them and will set as they cool. Let them cool completely before cutting them into individual bars.
Let your kiddos create labels from them that you can include when wrapping them up. Your kiddos will love the personalized touch and it will keep them occupied while you are assembling the ingredients. Of course you can have them help measure and mix too.
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cook oatmeal
- 1 1/4 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup chocolate chips or raisins
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Grease an 8x12 microwave safe baking dish.
- In a large bowl, cream sugars with margarine until fluffy.
- Add honey, vanilla, and egg. Mix well.
- Sift together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually blend into butter mixture, beating at low speed.
- Fold remaining ingredients in by hand.
- Press firmly into prepared baking dish.
- Microwave on MEDIUM for 7-9 minutes or until set. (Bars will firm as they cool.)
- Cool and cut into 12 bars.